Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I always felt so different and so crazy. -Kurt Cobain on high school

Most people feel this way about their adolescence, don't they? Kurt was famously tortured (and tortured by being famous). Does that make his story ironic? Is this just a case of hearing the same old story from a bigger megaphone?

When young people who suffer from mental illness express their pain, it can be brushed off as "whining" or "dramatic." All teens don't struggle with depression, but it can certainly seem that way at times. How can we tell who is "really depressed" and who is "just looking for attention"? What's the difference? Where is the line?

As a teen living with depression, I found that the real comfort started from within myself and was pushed outward. I wrote, sang, acted, played the violin. I didn't have the resources or emotional capacity to share my experiences directly with other people. I used the arts to bridge the gap and ease the pain. I needed a public platform to become someone else; someone who was well-liked and praised. That's still my main therapeutic activity. I wonder how other kids got through it...

If you have thoughts on this, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment