Sunday, October 13, 2013

Reverse To-Do List

Instead of making a to-do list (which I have running in my head on a constant basis [creating a tremendous amount of stress and guilt] anyway), I make a list of things I've already done. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. It makes me feel like less of a slowed-down, fuzzy brained, useless piece of weeping sludge. When I feel ridiculous, like a waste of space, it really helps to throw myself a tiny parade for each little thing I get done.

Recently, I felt especially desperate and created one at work. It was a slow day, and I was on the verge of a crying fit, so I took pen to paper and jotted down some tasks well done. Or at least done.

Today:
take bath                                    go to psychiatrist      

eat relatively healthy lunch        post queer issues petition 

get dressed                                eat breakfast

get help                                      cry

stay cheerful at work                 sing

drink water                                give coping advice

finish reading a book                 schedule SP work
 
This week:
do dishes                                    go to set strike

have sex                                     drive to Chicago and back    

talk to SG                                   do laundry

go to comedy show                    go to theatre event

spend time with TM                   share pictures

call Dad                                      pay rent

raise money for charity              have amazing latte

talk to EW                                  take a day off

pitch 2 interviews                       eat pastry

deposit wedding checks             book honeymoon
 
This month:
go to PZ's birthday                     go to the doctor     

invite MB to wedding                 look at wedding pics    

talk to MH                                  get married

move MM out                            talk to LG

propose for season                    hug JR

write wedding vows                   dance with OG
 
This year:
plan a wedding                           play Ophelia

baby-sit OG                                bowl with drag queens   

learn to make espresso              start writing for SP  

buy wedding band                      get a lap dance

have 2 bachelorette parties        get a new job

go to JK's wedding                     meet MG

go to SK's wedding                    direct Vacation

go to HJ's wedding                     see Absinthe

go to MI's wedding                     go to Las Vegas

have a bridal shower


After seeing everything I had already accomplished, I promptly gave myself permission to do nothing for the rest of the day. Sometimes that's what you have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment